Originally Posted By: mr.clif
CNC I understand what your trying to say. Take the Sipsey Wilderness Area within the Bankhead National Forest for instance probaly the lowest deer density I've hunted and I can count on one hand the coyotes I've seen there. But I think predator control is a nessary form of wildlife managment when your trying to make your property the best it can be. We cant all afford the services like shooter and others provide but I'm glad theyre there to teach others and keep doing what theyre doing.

IMO….The difference is in the idea of what is the best our property can be or should be. The idea that is being presented here is selling false hopes long term and is only a short term, very costly means of trying to change things. The moment trapping is stopped, any past gains are completely lost if there is no change in the habitat. The best thing you can do is to manage for a balance between predator, prey, and habitat. If you want more wildlife then the best long term return on your investment comes in the form of habitat improvements. The habitat is the driver for the whole cycle. Increase the productivity of the habitat and you increase the ability to hold more wildlife. Trying to push specific game populations past the natural carrying capacity of the land through intense predator removal is not money well spent for most general purposes.

Last edited by CNC; 05/06/14 06:28 AM.

We dont rent pigs