Originally Posted By: Bigbamaboy
Originally Posted By: jawbone
Yes, any LEO with arrest powers can enforce game laws, but it is always best to let those that do it everyday and are intimately familiar with the laws and case law do it.

I know I'm jacking my own thread, but in my personal experience, I have encountered some GW's that dont seem to know any more about game laws than I do.

Specifically, one instance comes to mind. At one time on Lake G, a 12" spot was legal. It is now 15". I caught a GW out at a gas station in Scottsboro one day. I asked him if the legal size limit was 12 or 15". He said he would need the book to make sure. I pulled one out of the truck seat and handed it to him. He had the deer in the headlights look. He didnt know where to find it in the book and just told me he didnt know.

I also had one accuse me of raking up acorns to bait deer. One of the club members called Jacksonville and they just laughed. Said we were just making that up because no GW would be dumb enough to make that statement. Hummm.

I'd say a LOT of GWs can't answer SOME law/reg questions without looking it up in the book. It is amazing the amount of "stuff" that a GW has to know to accurately enforce ALL Game and Fish laws and regs. Especially if they work an area that dosen't have some aspects of outdoor use. I used to read the reg/law books on a weekly basis, even after years of enforcing laws. Sometimes a single word makes all the difference in what a law/reg actually says, as opposed to what you think it says.

funny note, after decades of a Jan 31 closing of skwerl season they changed it to Feb closing. A guy called me one day asking if he could hunt skwerls in Feb...I told him hail no, it closed Jan 31...LOL. I thought about it for a minute and called him back....

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one