Originally Posted By: BrotherTurtle
Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
Don't quit your job, talk to your employer and let them fix the problem. It is their responsibility. The fact that you were hospitalized means the case is reportable to OSHA, so they may very well get a visit and be forced to fix the issue anyway.

A push of a button caused the injury. Properly controlling the button would be a good place to start. This can be as simple as putting a lockable box over the button. Nothing about the machine would change, except that the button would be controlled.

Lots of machines are worked on while energized everyday; however they have controls or interlocks in place to prevent accidental activation of the hazard.

x2. There has to be a way to make this safe. If you don't force them to do it, they will leave it as is and someone else will get hurt or killed. I would think seriously about calling a lawyer and/or OSHA. They are in the area. This week, we just had a surprise visit and a fine for failure to lock out a machine that was no where near as dangerous as what you worked on. OSHA will not play with them. There has to be a way to make every job safe. If US is anything like the steel plants i worked in, someone has to make them do the right thing or it won't get done.

Very true. I used to work for a contractor (Brandenburg) at U.S. Steel - from what I saw while I was there, their only concern was production/$$$.

Jesus... I hope you know Him personally like I do.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Proud crossbow hunter!