This is an enlightening thread from the aspect that the idea that management is being discussed as being a great thing when instituted at the local/site specific location. The part that is so enlightening is the fact that it is not being dictated through regulation by the State, but by the individual properties.

Isn't this the way it should be? I mean if a person wants to set goals for their land to increase the deer herd, adjust the buck/doe ratio, adjust the age structure, select harvest bucks, manipulate the carrying capacity or nutritional value on their land under the current State regulations, isn't that good?

Seems to me that letting the individual micro-manage their property withing a broad State management regulation like what is in place now (some may agree or disagree about the breadth of the current regulation) is the best method.

Of course there is one situation that might dictate that the State should micro-manage the resource on every property and that would be that ALL land in the State is open to ALL residents to hunt (i.e. All land is considered State Wildlife Management lands) and the individual land/leaseholder has no rights to manage their own property. Something tells me this situation would not be popular with land/leasholders.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope