Originally Posted By: shooters
r h clark, thats apples to oranges in this case. you are correct about quailty does matter over obj size,BUT the zeiss diavari 2.5x10x42 is a 1700 dollar scope. that is well out of the price rang he stated. the scope i was taling about were 600- 800 dollar range. both scopes we are talking about are 30mm tubes. with 56mm lenses in stead of 42 you get more light gather in capablity and a wider field of view. i get your point on max exit pupil and under stand it well. but if two cars got 10 mpg and 1 was 400 hp and the other was 500 hp , i will take the 500 hp. and every human eye cant be the same. my thing would be let him look threw several scopes and choose the best one four his price range

Always a good idea to look at a bunch. I was just using the Diavari as an example of a smaller objective scope that is just as bright as the larger objective scopes at lower power because of glass quality. I could have bought one a couple weeks ago for $1100 if I could have spent the cash just then.

Everyone should buy what fits their style of hunting. You like the large objectives on long range heavy rifles and in that situation I completely agree with a larger objective, because the rifle is already heavy and could even have adjustable cheek. Plus the larger objective is definitely brighter when you get above about 7X.

Again I just offer an alternative view. My favorite hunting scope right now is a Kahles Helia CL 2-7X36 with 4A reticle. It's just about perfect for my , under 200 yards shots on lighter weight rifles, where I'm just as likely to shoot a jumped deer at 10 yards as one feeding at the edge of a field at 150 yards.