Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Originally Posted By: Firefighter Bill
Originally Posted By: BhamFred

The CAB tried to ram the crossbow issue down our throats without popular hunter support

I respectfully disagree. Just because BHA was very vocally against that issue does not mean there wasn't a huge amount of support from hunters across this state. I am still waiting on all those deer killed at 80 yards and the big increase in night hunting caused by legalizing crossbows. It did allow more women and children to participate in this great sport and that alone is good enough for me to support it. I killed my first deer via the crossbow last season and I can tell you that IMHO they are FAR LESS lethal than a real good compound bow in the hands of a good shooter.

you know not of what you speak if you say there was popular support for crossbows in regular bow season. I was a working GW then, in contact daily with hunters, esp bowhunters. In the years before the CAB legalized crossbows I had not one hunter ever propose to allow crossbows to be a legal bow season weapon. That was a damn lie told by the CAB and commish at the time.

I have no issues with crossbows in bow season, just the way the CAB lied and shoved crossbows down our throats at the time.

So since most of your contacts were with bowhunters dontcha think your view might have been skewed?
I have never proposed to warden any change in the law. That would be kinda like someone proposing to me that arson be legalized,haha.
It had never been thought to be possible to change so most folks never brought it up. After the CAB started getting serious about it I heard FAR more support from the pro xbow side. Just not as loud and obnoxious as the anti side but more of them around Cullman and Winston counties. Still is lots of support for it here. I never cared personally but I did buy a xbow last year and it will be for sale shortly. They are way too loud to be as good as a good compound.

Lead, follow or get the HELL outa the way!