Originally Posted By: Remington270
Originally Posted By: 49er

Don't ever assume you can hunt without permission. If the company representative tells you that you don't need a permit to hunt (unlikely), get his name and keep it for future reference in case you get checked by a game warden.

Good tip, and even that may not be enough, because they'll just say that you should have written permission.

NOT true.

Open permit land does not always require written permission. You should read the rule completely. Relying on the Hunters Digest for official information is not a good practice.

Been there, done that before.

Capt. Dennis Sanford, DCNR Div. III confirmed it for me. University of Alabama (and also Weyerhaeuser would give me verbal permission to hunt school owned land near my home, but would not issue written permission.

2012-2013 Regulation Book
Quote:
220-2-.85 Hunter Orange Requirement for Hunting and
Definition of Open Permit-Public Land

... (2) “Open Permit-Public Land” is defined as governmentally owned land open for public hunting and/or lands made available to the public on an individual basis whether for a fee or not. Examples of such lands would be national forest lands, lands owned by lumber companies and utility companies available for use by hunters either through free permits, fee permits or no permit requirement.

Here's what the 2012-2013 Hunters Digest tells you, and it is not true:

page 40

Quote:
HUNTING PERMISSION REQUIREMENT
It is illegal to hunt, trap, capture, injure, kill or destroy any wild game on another person’s land without having in possession the written permission of the landowner or person in control of such land, unless accompanied by the landowner or unless a guest of the landowner.