WMD, the only thing I have suggested is that hunters take into consideration the wildlife when enjoying the resource. I will condemn poachers and hunters who kill without regard so that they can brag about how many deer or ducks or whatever they kill.

I have always been an advocate for allowing young hunters to shoot whatever.

I have NEVER EVER stated on this forum or bragged about how many and what kind of bucks I've killed. To be honest, I'm disappointed that I haven't killed more mature bucks but yes, I bow hunt mature bucks and I don't apologize for it. That's just what I do.

When you and 49er jump on the QDMA I will defend this organization to the end. The QDMA manages like its name and that's Quality as a quality deer herd and when hunters put bragging rights ahead of herd health, yeah, I'll chime in. There is no doubt that a heavily skewed doe population with a heavily hunted buck population results in an unhealthy deer herd and all the reasons for a more balanced sex ratio just makes sense. You may not like a member of the QDMA but so shoot the messenger not the ideology.

So, yes, I'm in favor of "management" for herd health. Call it pompous or insincere but my reasoning for management isn't because I ONLY want record book bucks. Yes, I hunt in clubs where we manage for at least 3 yr old bucks and 4 yr olds would be better and we try to keep our sex ratio in balance. But I am NOT in favor of hell, fire and damnation to the hunter that makes a mistake and shoots a younger buck. We all make mistakes and I am likely to make one myself. I am in favor of kids being able to experience a kill of any size. I'm not so blinded by inches of antlers that I can't see the broad enjoyment of hunting and being in nature.

I'm not arrogant nor an elitist but I do loath the hunter that "takes" and doesn't give back and I make no apologies for that. And, I'm not for calling out a hunter for taking a 2 yr old buck. You never know the circumstances and if he or she is happy, then I am happy.

Reading what you've killed over the last several years, it sounds like you're being very selective on what you shoot and I'm not going to question your sincerity on that. You have a son and I would never question what he shoots.

This is what I truly believe: "Be a conscientious "manager" of wildlife; not an unconcerned consumer of it!" If you (and I don't mean you, WMD) don't respect wildlife and hunting conservation, then I have no use for you. If you're willing to take from our natural resources, then be willing to give back too.

I'm sincere in that stance and I think it's the only thing that the general public will accept as hunters are such a small part of the "voting" population.

Two years ago, I shot a 127" eight point in IL on "public land" with my bow and was proud as I could be. Hunting public land? That's not an elitist or arrogant hunter. I'm pretty laid back and I am sorry if I have sounded pompous.

Glad to hear that you don't support a 12 month deer season as when Jan 31st gets here, I'm glad the season is over.

smile

Oh, WMD, I still am going to shoot every coon I see! And if I see a hog this summer on my property and it happens to be at night.... well, I might put a hunk of lead in him. grin

Sorry folks for taking over this thread while WMD and I discuss our views. I'd like to think that WMD and I have more in common than we first thought.

Last edited by Bucktrot; 05/19/13 12:39 PM.