Originally Posted By: lefthorn
I have a question about these Forever Wild tracts. There is one west of Northport (sipsey i think is the name). Anyway, they say 4 wheelers are to be used only for hunting stuff or something along those lines. Exactly what does that mean? Can i ride in and hunt and ride out? Do i only ride in to get my deer? Anyone know anything on this?

Sorry for the delay, but a moderator has limited my ability to post on aldeer with a time limit that keeps me from posting like eveybody else.

There are several different categtories of Forever Wild Land, and the rules are different for each category.

You can use your four-wheeler to access your hunting spot the Sipsey tracts for hunting and you can use it to retrieve your deer as well.
Here's a link to the document that explains the types of land and the use of four-wheeler on the Sipsey tracts:

FW lands with hunting provisions link

Quote:
... Forever Wild tracts may be designated for use under one or more of four categories: Wildlife Management Areas, Nature Preserves, Recreation Areas, and State Parks. Several tracts have been purchased solely to add to or create a Wildlife Management Area (WMA). These tracts are managed by the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division (WFF) to improve hunting related activities. Some tracts are cooperatively managed by the State Lands Division and the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division as a Nature Preserve, Recreation Area, and Wildlife Management Area. The hunting and fishing programs on these tracts are managed by the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division. Tracts designated solely as Nature Preserves and Recreation Areas are managed by the State Lands Division. Hunting is often allowed on these tracts as a recreational activity, but it is not the only recreational activity that takes place there. Forever Wild tracts purchased as additions to State Parks do not allow hunting and trapping, consistent with State Parks regulations. Forever Wild tracts not designated below do not have an open hunting season...

Some tracts fall within the rules for wildlife management areas and others don't.

Under the "Nature Preserves and Recreation Areas" section you will find:
Quote:
... Sipsey River Complex (Sipsey Sullivan, Sipsey Randolph, and Sipsey Robertson Tracts) - Tuscaloosa County, 3431 acres. Managed as a Nature Preserve and Recreation Area by the State Lands Division for unique riverine animals and wetland habitats. The tract is largely a bottomland hardwood forest adjacent to the Sipsey River. The forest, swamps, and river support populations of various game species, and some waterfowl. Big game hunting is limited to stalk hunting deer and feral hog with a muzzler loader, shotgun with slug, and bow/crossbow. Turkey hunting, waterfowl hunting, and small game hunting follow regular seasons, arms and limits for these areas. All terrain vehicle operation (4-wheelers or any motorized vehicle) is permitted only during designated hunting seasons and only to access the property for hunting. ALL SUCH VEHICLES MUST REMAIN ON THE MAIN ROAD ONLY. See Rule 220-2-.125 for specific restrictions...

The vehicle rule for the Yates tract that nock1on asked about above is different:

IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL:
Quote:
... 12. For any unauthorized person to operate or possess ANY UNLICENSED MOTOR DRIVEN VEHICLE (2,3,4,or 6 wheel) on the area or to operate a LICENSED motor scooter, motorcycle,trail bike, or any LICENSED motor driven vehicle on the area or power line right-of-way except on regularly used roads open for public use.