Originally Posted By: Beer Belly

If deer live in a rural area can they tell if a different person is in the woods that don't belong? Dogs can identify people by their smell.

Do they smell in the same "range" as do we, only better, or can they smell things that we can't? I know that some animals, and especially insects can see UV light that we can't see. Are their things that STINK about us that we can't even notice? Maybe our receptors can't pick up those smells at all.

Do deer learn to associate the smell of store bought scent killers with humans?

Would a diesel soaked rag be the BEST cover scent if hunting around farm land? Can deer tell when someone strange, other than the farmer that lives there are on the property?

We smell something and can tell that is fish, onions, pizza, do deer smell humans, or specific humans, or danger and not danger?

It is always best to hunt the wind.

What does this mean?
If the wind is due north. How much does my scent spread? What is the "CONE" of scent? How far does it travel? How does temp, moisture, variation of wind direction, sunrise, sunset, mid day, woods, greenfield, affect scent distribution?

I would really like to have the $, time to do these tests. I bet knowing these answers would change how we hunt.

i'm sorry...i was looking at your avatar. Did you type something?

The harder I practice, the luckier I get.