Originally Posted By: longbow76
Originally Posted By: jamesm1976
Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Folks that think this will work have been duped. Before I get questioned on my creditials, I've got a Biomedical Sciences degree from Auburn, took extra coursework in genetics, and have hunted extensively in 2 seperate high-fenced facilities, one with breeder pens, one with pure native deer.

I can tell you that the genetics in Alabama already exist. In the high-fence with native deer, 5 years after the fence was up we had 150 inch deer. This was due to an intensive food-plot program that included up to 30 acres of soybeans and corn a year. Oh, and NOT SHOOTING YOUNG DEER. We have passed on so many 130-140 inch deer that it isn't even funny. We have also had to pass on 150 inch deer to see if they would get bigger. Some did and some didn't. Largest scored deer so far- 171 inches. Larges weight- 262 lbs. THESE ARE NATIVE GENETIC ALABAMA DEER. Bottom line, the genetics exist. The trigger control and the nutrition DO NOT in the vast majority of the state. In the areas where both do, you see folks consistently killing big deer.

Looks to me like education of hunters is part of their plan. That lines up with what you are saying. Here is a snippet from one of their articles.

"Big Buck Project is determined to provide hunters and landowners with encouragement to improve the herd quality and build on Marengo County's already impressive deer herd. Big Buck Project is planning on releasing breeder deer around Marengo County in order to introduce quality genetics and help create a platform to educate hunters on how to manage Marengo County's deer herd"

"introduce quality genetics" from that statement one would conclude that there hasn't been a deer over 130 killed in Marengo Co. in 10 years.

There are already great genetics in Marengo Co. I can show pictures of just a few of the many really good bucks taken in Marengo over the past few years...