Originally Posted By: Coondog4
Here is what I know....good nutrition certainly helps deer grow bigger racks over time. However, in Crenshaw Co for example, the vast majority of your 4-5 yr old deer will not exceed 130-140 inches. I believe that throwing in some larger genetics into the herd while properly managing the domestic heard will certainly help. I think the idea of the big buck project is fantastic. I agree that it is not going to make a difference in Marengo county because they are not going to be able to raise enough funds to do it on a big enough scale to see results..especially since they are allowing hunters to immediately shoot the bucks they release. I'm in no way associated with the guys doing the buck project in Marengo county but when I heard about it I started thinking about how you really could make a big impact across the state.
Hear are my thoughts (just big picture)....
If the State of Alabama put with every hunting license bought each year an optional tag that cost $10 that would go towards releasing big bucks in your county of choice over the next 3 years. Then break it down in priority to the counties with the most tags.
If the Dept of Conservation was running this program and could have a few reputable dealers that could really check the deer for diseases etc and know that it would not be a threat to Alabama's Deer heard, I think it could really make a big difference.
Just thought I would throw a different opinion into the mix.

If the state increased license fees and had extra money to spend the money would be put to much better use by hiring more game wardens and implementing a tagging and check in system....implanting breeder bucks isn't even on the radar, even if it didn't raise biological issues.

Anytime you use the word "dealer" and deer hunting in the same sentence or paragraph there is an issue, IMO