We heard this bird while scouting last weekend. Went in to the area and set up to listen. Wind picked up and started to rain, so I wasn’t optimistic on hearing him. It got to past fly down time and the wind played a little. I cut and he answered about 200 yards to our right across several bottoms. We made a move and got to where I thought he was. Called and nothing. Then two trains came through and shut everything up. I decided to walk towards the river where they usually go. We climbed up on a rise just off a road and waited for the trains to leave. I cut and he answered from behind us. We had walked within 50 yards of him, but luckily I kept a small hill between him and us. I got Coleman set up on the road and called. He cut me off. Then I looked up and could see him in the road strutting at about 100 yards. Coleman saw him too and I could see him shaking! Bird would walk, strut, and gobble as he approached. I only made 1-2 more soft calls. He came down the road and gave him a shot at 20 yards. The rest is history!! Needless to say, we are pumped!!

Oh yeah, I got the kill on video!!

18 pounds
9 5/8” beard
7/8” spurs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cgardner; 03/23/24 09:46 AM.