Originally Posted by kodiak06
Thick and nasty OR swamps always produced for me on public land or a lease. Most people feel the need to see 100yds... Least likely places like near property entrances are often good spot, human nature tells most hunters to "go deep" and bucks aren't dumb, they simply go to secluded spots.
This. A shorter really shitty walk to the spot is usually better than an easy long walk through open woods. When you're deep think about how much it's going to suck to drag the deer out. If it's going to really really suck, and there's fresh sign, you may be in a decent spot.

Stick with it man - I didn't really have anyone to teach me how to hunt either. Learned from books, forums, and just getting out there. My family has shot deer forever but it was mostly over greenfields/fields - what I now sometimes call harvesting deer. There's a big difference between HARVESTING and HUNTING whitetails.

There's nothing more rewarding from a whitetail hunting perspective than getting back into some public, finding sign, and getting on deer, at least to me.

Last edited by RandanAL; 01/15/24 04:44 PM.