I’ve never been on a hunting trip out of state but I’ve always wanted to. This year I’m finally going, I got an invite from one of my co-workers I’m going with him and a few of his friends Nov. 2-11 in Illinois on public land. What tips and tricks do y’all have for out of state hunts? Is there any special gear y’all would recommend getting that someone in Alabama may not use? We are staying in a cabin with full amenities so camping gear should not be needed.

I will be taking a summit climber but also plan to hunt off the ground if needed. As stated in the back pack thread I will have a back pack for snacks/lunch, water, first aid, extra clothes, binoculars, range finder, toilet paper, limb saw and maybe some calls? I’ve never used calls in Alabama but maybe I should try it in Illinois?

My plan so far is I have picked out a few areas on the map I want to try. The first couple of days when I get there I’m going to check those places out if I find sign I will hang a stand and hunt if I don’t find anything I will back out and find another spot. Is this how most of y’all would approach it?