Originally Posted by CNC
Burning isolated 20acre patches in areas where no other burning was occurring would likely do more harm than good. You create an island for predators to hammer when you do that.

I have gotta believe that you have never done any burning if you believe that. Most of the burning I've done is with 20 to 30 acre patches, though I will usually burn several of them in a year. I think your statement could possibly be true if you burned 1 acre plots, but I have found 20 acres to be plenty big.

But actually, I just pulled the 20 acres number out of thin air to come up with a figure to pair with your figure of 20 coon tails. And I might also point out that you pulled your number out of thin air as well. smile

I am trying to HELP your proposal, not tear it down. For it to happen, you have gotta sell it to 2 groups. The first is the dcnr biologists, though in actuality that is just Chuck alone. Convince him and it doesn't really matter what those under him think. And the 2nd group is the CAB. I don't think they will go for a plan that gives extra benefits to coon trappers but leaves out the people who are actually doing things to produce poults. There's a lot of those people who have a lot of political influence, and from what I know of the process, I think they would be considered.

To have any hope of getting it done, I think you have to make the most people happy that you can. Pitting trappers against the people who are spending large amounts of money to produce turkeys doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me. But good luck with it

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.