Originally Posted by EmeraldTides
Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
Originally Posted by EmeraldTides
Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
Never understood why bass had to be weighed alive. Other than some pro redfish tours, all saltwater tourneys weigh dead fish almost exclusively.

Killing all the bass caught in tourneys would put a hurting on a lake pretty dang quick. A lot of saltwater fish are harder to keep alive and people don't have livewells (plus most taste better). A lot of those have been shifting to live weigh-ins as well. Most of the major speck tournaments are live weigh-ins with dead fish penalties now, and most of the big rodeos have a live fish weigh-in with bonuses.

Specks are ridiculously hard to keep alive. None of the south AL tournaments require live weigh in. They usually have a live category that’s separate, but I’ve yet to see a speck tournament that’s strictly live weigh in.

The winter classic has 0.25 or 0.5lb bonus for weighing in live fish, which is essentially the same as penalizing for dead fish. I think the BOG events might have something similar, but I'm not certain on that. Specks can be kept alive without much trouble with a good livewell set up. You'll lose more than you would with bass or redfish, but it can be done, just many people fishing saltwater tournaments don't have that option with their boats.

It’s also a problem because most of the tournament winning lunker fish are caught wade fishing.