Originally Posted by chevydude2015
Originally Posted by gobbler
Originally Posted by Mbrock
Some of the highest turkey populations I’ve seen were on properties with rotational grazing in prairie and forested areas. I’ve tried to promote more forbs and less grass on a few test areas with growing season fires. Dormant burning promotes grass in a big way.

Glad youve chimed in. I don't think burning is gonna get it. We burn through June/july and still, areas with good broomstraw have good broomstraw after. I would love to find a way, besides cows, to promote less grass and more forbs.

I've seen suggestions of burning in August/September for growing season burns as a way to encourage forbs. I have no personal experience with burning that time of year but it may be worth a shot. I'm going to experiment with it on some small areas.

I’ve actually done some September/October burning and got fairly good results on killing woody stems. Much better than an early growing season burn. I have converted heavy broomstraw fields to producing over 30 other species of forbs and legumes by fall discing. Eventually, usually within 2-3 growing seasons, the grass is back. Just repeat.