Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by gobbler
Originally Posted by turkey247
I believe the flint hills of Kansas practice this still today. But the only trees are in the drainage areas - mostly prairie.

But it’s not practical in AL on a large scale. Individual landowner - go for it. But no need to study it - not trying to be cynical about it - just realistic.

Why wouldn't an interested researcher study it. Burning alabama on a "large scale" is not practical either but we recommend it and study it as a management tool and know it has habitat and population scale benefits.

Are we still studying the benefits of burning? I can’t wrap my head around that either. I don’t see why. It’s been proven what that can accomplish. Some landowners can utilize burning - awesome. Most can not.

I would argue there is a huge difference between "can not" and "will not". Most landowners could use it but, for a variety of reasons, chose not to.

Is burning still studied? Sure in amongst other study objectives mostly at least regarding turkeys. Do a google scholar search on Chamberlain and he has 4 out of the first 10 that come up with fire in the title. There is still much to learn about it and how critters relate to it or utilize if. Season of burn and the species that respond on different soil types... there are a bunch of aspects I would love to see. A great one would be optimum burn patch size, season and frequency along with optimal percent of the habitat in a "burned" system. We know that 1,000 acre burns are not good for turkeys and 1 acre burns would be useless. What about in between? Which burn patch size is best utilized by poults, which size best used by adult birds, is there more predation on the lower size scale or upper? We know vegetation response to burn frequency and season is different in different latitudes and soil types, so what is the optimum burn frequency in the piedmont, coastal plain, mountains??? Yea, it is still researched and there is still many questions that can be asked by inquisitive minds. The whole patch burn grazing is intriguing and not researched at all, that I know of, in the southeast.

Originally Posted by blade
I hunted a place in Texas year before last that I saw 25 gobblers one morning (all sizes). They turned cows loose in it and Stateline can attest, wasn't a turkey to be found in there this past spring. Best we can tell, that was the only difference from one spring to the next. Not sure if the hens didn't like them being there due to nesting, etc. and didn't move to the area or what??? Anyway, ya'll can keep your cows away from anywhere I turkey hunt.

I have hunted around cows on a few properties over the years. The areas I saw them they were nothing but a benefit and I have had to be careful pulling the trigger to not hit a cow. I have had them mess up a set up and I have used them to stalk closer to turkeys in a field. Overall I like them as they relate to turkeys.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine