Originally Posted by CNC

But if you’re running 60-80% grass in the understory instead of 20-30%.......and you’re soil OM levels are 2% instead of 6% and so on…..then you’re not really “maximizing wildlife production”……..How do you accomplish these things?

Since this topic is far from TFT and the podcast, I started this new thread

I don't think the PBG concept is far fetched - for turkeys or quail. I have followed some of Dale Rollins stuff over the years and it has a lot of merit for mimicking natural systems. I know we had buffalo and elk here, curious as to the densities in our "prairie" vs out west. I know I had a client that had low density cows free range about half of his property and the cow area was cleaner and turkeys loved it. Turkeys also love a cattle pasture but that is usually on non native pasture.

I also agree we have an overabundance of native grass issue, especially broomstraw and bushybeard on our "managed" and burned properties. Wonder how well grazers control those. I know cows don't graze them much but the soil disturbance and fertilizer effect may change soil chemistry enough to make a difference. Lots of quail places are looking for ways to reduce the density of grasses and increase forbs and overall diversity.
You set up the program with the NRCS and Ill get some folks to sign up wink

Originally Posted by AU coonhunter
If I had the place and money to manage strictly for wildlife, I wouldn’t worry about the hassle of running cattle on it.

I have discussed this issue with some landowners specifically for this reason. Haven't ever done it. But if cattle will help "manage" your property better for wildlife, it may be worth it to run a herd of cows on it even if it isn't for the money.

Last edited by gobbler; 01/30/23 10:11 AM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine