The drug most widely used in Mississippi is Anectine. It takes a massive dose to kill a human, but a small dose is deadly to ungulates. The amount used in the pods isn’t enough to kill a human. It kills deer by paralyzing their diaphragm causing them to suffocate. The larger the muscle it’s injected into, the quicker the death. Because of this people that use them will typically shoot them in the hindquarters. It doesn’t taint the meat other than the actual wound. I don’t consider them ethical, but there’s a lot of misinformation spread about them. I went on two hunting trips to Tara in Mississippi back in 2000 and 2001. They allowed hunters to use them if they chose to. Hank Hearns was the head guide back then. He had years of experience with them, so that’s where my info is coming from. Every time these are brought up, somebody knows someone who knows someone that died because of them. Like with any drug, it quite well possible a human could have an allergic reaction to it, causing them to go into anaphylactic shock leading to death. But that would be rare. The ones BhamFred mentioned happened in the 60’s. No telling exactly which drug they were using back then.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." Captain Woodrow F. Call

ShawBuilt Custom Bowstrings