After years of wishing, I finally have a property where I get to be picky when I shoot. I like rib, neck, and shoulder meat, so I'd like to start chooting dem n da hed. Anyone else doing this?

Before the you can't do it brigade shows up, You can't do it, but I can, because I have determination. I know animals have smaller brains, and choose my shot placement accordingly. I can brain squirrels at 70 yards, pretty sure I can do deer at 150.

I've got a 20" Hbar BCM upper that seems perfect for the job. It's as accurate as any bolt gun I own. The flat ballistics of 5.56 out of a 20" barrel will be more forgiving if my range estimate is off, and it's plenty to crack a deer skull. I'll be putting a Trijicon Credo 4-16x on it once deer season ends. I won't be toting this rifle far, so weight isn't an issue.

I may look into getting a new trigger, all my lowers have milspec. I have never felt the need to upgrade, but the trigger on my Savages makes good shot placement easier.

For ammo, I plan on finding the most accurate expandable round for my upper, but affordable enough for me to practice with. Lighter rounds will give me a flatter trajectory, but I think I'd like to stick with heavier bullets in case I want to double lung one. 77gr is what the upper liked most in previous testing, so that's what I'll probably end up with.

Last edited by redgineer; 12/14/22 09:55 PM.