Originally Posted by Pwyse

So biologists in other states that believe a 1:1 ratio is better than 2:1 or 4:1 or whatever. Why do they say the same thing? Is it also to generate tax money for the state they are in? Or is it a different reason?

It think this question is actually the opposite. Nobody else allows their "hunters" to blast everything they see. My opinion is the quality of the deer in neighboring States is much better than AL.

So the question in my mind is why we do what we do?

Why?....Because nobody else manages their herds in the same manner. So we are the outlier. It's 100% the other way around.

Mississippi - 8 deer limit per season. 3 buck limit.

Georgia - 12 total - 2 bucks 1 must be more than 4pt.

The only other place they allow unfettered doe blasting is Middle TN and guess what... IMO it's on the decline. I've hunted in TN my whole life. Nowhere near as good as it was in Middle TN before they unleashed the doe killers. Also - we now have a bunch of poaching problems we have never had to deal with before. They appear to want to become just like Alabama and are on the fast track.

I know quite a few people that shoot 10+ deer per season in Alabama easily. There are a bunch right here on this board.

If you want a better buck/doe ratio stop killing them. Mother Nature will do that for you. Deer herds do not naturally have a 4:1 ratio. That's gunfire that did that.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.