So let me preface this by saying that much of my opinion comes from having lived in one of the perimeter boxes for the last 16 years watching first hand what happens to doe groups on the boundary……….

But back to our model again……and for the sake of not having to remake it lets assume that enough properties are green (meaning exceeding doe carrying capacity) that we have expansion occurring for the whole subset, pushing outward and being controlled on the edges with road mortality……This is creating a constant recycling of doe lineage from within the subset area with little influence from outside of it.…..Again, the doe groups that exist around the edge start getting clipped off one by one if they try to have daily routines on both sides.

The estrous timing of the doe groups are running true to their original lineage…..These things only change through natural selection. Some of the does released in my area around where the green dot exists came from Clarke Co where the does have a peak estrous timing of Jan 20 - Feb 4……Other does from Sumpter Co with a little earlier peak estrous of Jan 7 – Jan 21 were released around Auburn……What we end up seeing today is how that all end up shaking out as the herds grew and filled in……The great, great, great, great granddaughter of the original stocking is still running true though if her lineage made it. This overlap of estrous dates is one of the things that creates more stress on bucks than just having a normal two week peak.

Now if you can imagine this like on the science channel where they are showing what a multiverse would look like with the whole state existing in a bunch of subset “bubbles” like this (from a female standpoint) with each individual subset going through phases of expanding and shrinking…….then you will see how our herd is evolving over time as a result. There are a number of possibilities that could be created by individual scenarios just depending on how you adjust the variables……

What keeps us held fairly stable currently is that we have increased doe harvest to the point where there is very little expansion occurring anywhere now. Have everyone stop shooting does in our sample area here and you’ll create it……Now, have everyone in the subset area to the north start whacking every doe out and you’ll start seeing more variance spill in from the south…….Let both bubbles stop shooting does and your mesh point becomes the highway with conformity in the center of the bubble and high variance on the edge. Habitat and population density of each area would also come into play. All of these different possibilities is what is defining how each little section of the state is evolving moving forward.

You would think that everything would eventually settle back out in a smooth natural north to south estrous timing but I think there are too many other variables influencing natural selection now for that to happen in the same manner it once did.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 12/11/22 12:57 PM.

We dont rent pigs