Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by CNC
Let me present this question to you concerning this real world scenario we’re talking about…….When the doe groups using my little corner of this subset area get out in the highway and get run over….where is it that the new ones that show up come from???

The answer is that they come from other surrounding properties……From my observations, I think twice a year does go through a population redistribution caused by social conflict for resources where they shuffle themselves around the landscape. This happens in late winter when food resources become more limited and during late summer when prime fawning cover is potentially limited. During this time if resources start to become limited, the doe groups led by the old matriarch does typically kick the younger ones down the road.

This redistribution or reshuffling creates something similar to a physics expansion equation…….The rate of doe “expansion” for a given area is determined by the rate of social conflict between doe groups on any given property. Expansion will not occur in all area and will only really emanate from area where conflict occurs. So for example……a property like Wyncreek going in and trying to shoot out a “doe quota” is really just impacting the rate of doe expansion onto neighboring hunting clubs in the area more than anything.

What you would rather have happen in this situation in my opinion…..instead of going in a blasting out a bunch of does on Wyncreek……let them redistribute themselves to the neighbors and let them do the blasting…….redistribute the excess hunting pressure to them…..they’ll love you for it too

The social conflict that is occurring amongst the doe groups on the property where expansion emanates from is a good thing for your hunting as well because it creates more movement amongst the females in late winter as they feel like they have to defend the castle. With no shooting pressure on them and the need to defend resources will have them on their feet more and in turn have the bucks on their feet too

CNC. There is a ton of movement ecology research out there to be read. I'd start with the source/sink stuff first. Many of these questions have some data that already exists.

Anthropomorphize much?