Originally Posted by chevydude2015
I think you're comparing 2 different concepts here CNC. In my opinion, MBrock's management practice works extremely well when you have a large enough acreage under management, whether that is with multiple neighbors working together or a single landowner. If it didn't, then the Wyncreek Plantation's of the world wouldn't use it or similar practices....

Wyncreek represents something that’s an anomaly for most of the state…..Even still though if I were managing that property I would look to do at least a merger of the two ideologies where some does were simply shot for the enjoyment of the hunt and not for trying to meet some management quota number that’s usually pulled out of the ether……I’ve been on their property tracking deer numerous times and virtually all of their neighbors properties and clubs and all of their neighbors, neighbors land and I own property bordering those neighbors…..I’ve seen what everyone else around them is doing and how the deer density exists across the bigger landscape within that subset area.

When January gets here and all the neighbors have clipped off half the doe groups out of their bedding areas…… I want my land to be where all the bucks from their properties go to looking for tail when there isnt any to be found elsewhere…..When the hunting club to the north full of good old boys from Sand Mt have reduced their doe population down……and the hunting club to the west has let the kids shoot theirs…….and the little 10 acre spot where another club camps and has a “meat stand” has thinned theirs down…..and so on………..….I would want Wyncreek to be where all their bucks went to when they left out looking for does…….Those other clubs surrounding them along with the farmer to the south with a depredation permit using them for target practice along with the two major highways can handle “managing” any number reduction that may “need” to take place

When a lot of bucks from the larger landscape area start converging on a single hot spot property……THAT is what increases competition……especially as you get later into that two week time frame for does going hot……As the number of hot does in the area begin to fall off and become fewer…..bucks flock to the places where hot does are still there to be found…..The most prized doe in the whole herd is the very last one in the area to go into heat on that first cycle……I would also point out that according to the data is our recent graph thread......most bucks that get killed each dont do so until January....70% or better of the buck harvest is still running around the landscape when the rut starts kicking off.

My point being that even though Wyncreek is a big property for Alabama…..it still does not exist within a box and has other external factors to consider when coming up with a strategy to implement……In today’s hunting era that has a good portion of the hunters still convinced to whack a portion of their does each year…..I want to be the place that doesn’t and holds a higher concentration than the surrounding landscape…..and if its 10,000 acre then all the better. All of that doe whacking trying to meet a management quota is a lot of excess hunting pressure that doesn’t have to take place in my opinion.

Let me present this question to you concerning this real world scenario we’re talking about…….When the doe groups using my little corner of this subset area get out in the highway and get run over….where is it that the new ones that show up come from???

Last edited by CNC; 12/07/22 06:35 PM.

We dont rent pigs