Originally Posted by CNC
No……the fewer does on your property during the rut, the more likely the bucks are to be on someone else’s…..The fallacy here is taking a “King Ranch” style management philosophy and applying it to an Alabama landscape that has a number of different external influences at play in comparison. Telling folks like jwalker or 3ffarms that if they shoot a bunch of their does that they’ll have better bucks in the future is just not true at all. The vast majority of hunters wasn’t to see deer and shoot bucks. They don’t care about if the does weigh 100 lbs or 120 lbs………..

I think you're comparing 2 different concepts here CNC. In my opinion, MBrock's management practice works extremely well when you have a large enough acreage under management, whether that is with multiple neighbors working together or a single landowner. If it didn't, then the Wyncreek Plantation's of the world wouldn't use it or similar practices...

For a single landowner that only controls 50 or 100 acres, trying to manage the deer herd by killing doe is a losing game. In that sort of situation, I would agree your best bet would be to maximize the habitat and food on your property and let it become a "sanctuary" of sorts where deer want to be. Then in the rut catch the big boy cruising through looking for doe. This is more likely to be the situation most people are subject to I would think vs having control of 1000's of acres. But, its also going to be the most difficult situation to consistently kill big deer I would think.