Originally Posted by Lockjaw
The biologist who came out on my lease said kill 15 doe's to start. She was a state biologist. Personally I don't see how you make that sort of assessment by simply driving around the property.

1050 acre's. To sustain that, I have to have at least 15 doe's remaining who have twins, and none of the doe fawns get eaten by a yote or die from something else. Nature is not going to skew the births of the male or female sex beyond 48 to 52 per Dr Grant Woods.

So the bottom line is you can only kill a certain number of doe'on an ongoing basis before you negatively impact the population. And that requires more data than an hour on my lease.

I agree no one can make that assessment in an hour. She probably just applied the state average ratio to your property. I’m guessing she assumed it was 3:1 or 4:1. If you use that ratio at 45 deer a square mile then 15 does a year is sustainable. Especially if you make an effort to only shoot 4.5+ year old bucks.

1050 acres= 1.6 sq miles
1.6 x 45 deer = 72 deer
72 @ 3:1 ratio = 54 does
54 - 15 shot = 39 does left

By the time they have fawns at 50% females you are right back where you started. Of course there are other factors in there but that’s the jest of it.