That’s not what I’m saying at all Backwoods. Deer management should always be geared towards meeting a landowners objectives. I never make true recommendations without first getting the top 2 objectives, clearly defined, from the landowner. Then we spend a day looking at habitat condition, seeing what improvements are needed (all within the financial and resource limitations of the landowner) , reviewing photos, hopefully harvest data, and then I’ll recommend harvest strategies and targets. You won’t have happy deer hunters if you screw this process up. If you screw it up, then they won’t work with you. I’m not in the business of screwing things up. If you’re happy with what you are doing then keep doing it.

For THIS particular situation, based off the info given in this thread, the info I’ve provided is sound. Make habitat improvements, shoot a few does and lay off buck harvest. That’s not crazy. It’s not counterproductive. It’s exactly what he needs. And if I saw the place in person and sat down with him I might change my mind. It depends on what I see and the info he gave me.

Have unqualified biologists made bad decisions in the past? Yes. Have they done so in AL? Yes. Also, have people who have limited knowledge on deer management applied good principles in the wrong way and decreased populations to levels that were lower than desired? YES! There are properties that need doe harvest. There are others that don’t. One of the primary properties I’ve managed for 15 years has taken 35-45 does every year on 2200 acres and it’s sustainable. The habitat is great. Body weights are above average. The population is above average. Antler scores are average to slightly above average most years, reproductive success is good, coyote numbers are through the roof, and yet this harvest is sustainable and will be indefinitely unless habitat condition degrades. And it won’t because they work dang hard at it. 20 miles away I helped a member here, gave him some recommendations. He has followed through with them and has an exceptional place. His population has increased to where he’s seeing more deer, has a hood age structure and we started by removing 0-2 does a year on 700 acres. That’s right. Hardly any doe harvest just 20 miles from the other property. It’s site specific. Doe harvest will always be a tool. Always.

You can not offend me. So don’t worry about that.