Originally Posted by jwalker77
Teacher one, im not a doe killing fan. I sat in my shooting house one evening a month or so ago, saw 30 deer. One spike. Im afraid our rut is fixin to get in a mess. I wont be killing any does. I just dont enjoy it. But i have recommended to some neighbors if theyre gona shoot 2-3 deer to eat, theres plenty of does, not plenty of bucks. Weve worked hard to get our numbers up and discouraged doe killing but i think we are in a little different situation right now. I dont particularly like it but its where we are.

That’s a problem. Not desirable.

Every time a trigger is pulled a management decision is made. EVERY time. You can not manage deer without doe harvest. It’s impossible. Buck mortality is considerably higher than doe mortality if you completely take hunting out of the equation. The rigors of rut, fighting, stress, and highway mortality takes more bucks than most people think, even in the south. Add hunting related mortality to a herd that’s skewed heavily in favor of does and you have a never ending cycle of long drawn out ruts, low buck recruitment and retention, and stressed deer. There are people who think saving does attracts bucks and that’s the way to manage deer. Well it’s not. I hate to burst so many bubbles. That’s an awful way to manage deer and quite honestly is counterproductive to having a healthier more reproductively successful population. It adds increased breeding pressure and stress to bucks and prolongs the breeding season. That type of management can actually lead to lower recruitment. But hey, I killed a big one on that herd of does. It’s worth it. 😂 Peoplr have a misconception that deer breed like cattle. Get cattle as far away from deer management as you can. They are not the same. One buck can not breed multiple does in the time frame he’s given without, often irreversible, side effects.

I joke, but really, having a population heavily weighted in favor of does is bad. It can be corrected but takes work. Jwalker, might I ask why you are not in favor of killing does? Is it because you think you’ll lower the population? Is it too much work? Requesting neighbors to take care of a problem you all share is not going to help. You need to kill some deer. And you all, as a community, need to lay off buck harvest. They are getting shot. You may not think they are, and all your neighbors may not be honest, but they’re getting shot.