That's an interesting picture; thanks for adding it to the discussion. One thing I can see is that I planted mine a lot denser than you did. It looks like your individual plants are mostly forked and putting out several main stems. It looks like they have produced a lot of pods. It's a good looking field with a lot of dove food. I think you can manage it to produce doves all the way to the end of the last season if you are interested in doing that

Here's the last picture I have of mine; I think it was made September 10:

[Linked Image]

You can see that nearly all of my plants are a single stem, though they all still produced a lot of pods. All the leaves and blooms were long gone when I made the picture. The green you see is sicklepod. I didn't get any rain for a month after planting and the herbicide didn't work very well. Still, I don't think the weeds hurt production a whole lot. They were mostly behind the sesame and didn't get to it's height until the sesame was done.

The pods are cracked open and gradually dropping seed. During the heat of the day, the doves will get in the standing sesame, but late in the afternoon they will be in the bush hogged part where the seed is thick on the ground.

My dove field was a failure, but I think it was due entirely to the fact that there just aren't many in the area. I don't plan to try again at this location, but will help my uncle at his place. I will say that my doves had a choice of wheat on bare ground, a dove magnet field that was mostly millet and mowed clean, bush hogged strips of Egyptian wheat, or sesame, and they chose the sesame 100%. I never saw more than 25 at any one time, but every last one of them was always in the sesame. I think it can be a great dove food if you have doves.

Good luck getting to shoot yours.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.