Originally Posted by Buckwheat
I planted an Acre of Chufas here in Chambers County 3 years.....made a good crop. Turkeys never would hit them. Decided....Welp....I'll run the harrow down through them one time to uncover some....still no Takers. They never did hit them. Guess they just didn't know what they were.....Very STRANGE!!

It is strange, and very different from my experience. This little plot was planted 70 days ago and the turkeys are digging them up, and have been for a couple of weeks now. I ran a flock of hens and poults, along with 2 gobblers, out of it yesterday. This is the edge of the field and the lowest ground, and they are starting here. I pulled up part of a plant and there were more tubers than I expected this early. They haven't dug any on the higher ground, and they probably haven't made much there. How did they know to start in the better ground, and how did they know that there was already enough tubers to make it worth their trouble to dig them? I have no idea, but I do think my turkeys must be a lot smarter than your turkeys. smile

Still, I wish they would leave them alone until they mature.

[Linked Image]

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.