Originally Posted by cartervj
Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
Originally Posted by redgineer
Originally Posted by rickyh_2
Have any of you got the vaccine for snake bites for your dogs??? Just wondering what the consensus was with all y’all? Lot of good advice I’ve read here and the vet had just texted to check on her and told us about the vaccine.

I looked into them a while back. The effectiveness of them is questionable. They also only work for rattlesnakes. It would most likely be a water moccasin to get my dog, so I didn't bother.

A moccasin is the worst, if you ask me. Even if they live, the necrosis will ruin them. If it's in their feet and legs. Any where really, can put them at risk for infection down the road.

My first chocolate lab got hit in the foot. Teal season back in the late 80’s in a borrow pond. Dang nest of them not sure how many we killed getting out of there.

Guy I was hunting with, dad was a doctor and called his personal vet. I met him at his office and he administered anti-venom he’d picked up somewhere. Probably an hour in my dogs foot was purple and the vet said he may loose his foot. He lanced it before sedating my dog. No feeling in it.

Anyways dog recovered and cost me $400.

Moc nests gives me the heebs. It probably ain't as a big deal with retrievers. On long range high endurance dogs it can make alot of difference if it affects their stride. It's strenuous enough for them in this heat. It's usually your good dog too, ain't never one the the dang culls.

For without victory, there is no survival