Originally Posted by redgineer
Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
Originally Posted by redgineer
Originally Posted by rickyh_2
Have any of you got the vaccine for snake bites for your dogs??? Just wondering what the consensus was with all y’all? Lot of good advice I’ve read here and the vet had just texted to check on her and told us about the vaccine.

I looked into them a while back. The effectiveness of them is questionable. They also only work for rattlesnakes. It would most likely be a water moccasin to get my dog, so I didn't bother.

A moccasin is the worst, if you ask me. Even if they live, the necrosis will ruin them. If it's in their feet and legs. Any where really, can put them at risk for infection down the road.

That's not surprising. Moccasins get really fat heads, which means they have a lot of venom.

I quit taking him out to the swamps in the summer for this reason. Any body of water in the HSV area has them though, and I see a lot of them in Bankhead.

I really worry about him this time of year, but nothing makes him happier than running through the woods.

I did some snake avoidance training last summer, and he hasn't chased a snake since. I do not fully trust him to leave a snake alone, but it gives me some peace of mind.

You using any kind of training collars? They help alot, especially with gamey dogs. Trying to defy a thousand years prey drive can be challenging.

For without victory, there is no survival