Originally Posted by halljb2
We planted the wms dove magnet with the sesame in it this year. The sesame is really doing good. Our field is looking great. Sunflowers started opening today and we got an inch of rain this afternoon. The only thing I haven’t noticed is the grain sorghum but I’m sure it’s out there somewhere

The dove magnet has really made a lot of seed, and should start to dry out with the hot weather expected next week. It's interesting that you have sunflowers with no grain sorghum; mine is just the opposite with a lot of heads of sorghum and not a single sunflower. I have never been able to make sunflowers on this place. The deer usually eat them as soon as they come up, but I don't know if that is what happened here.

For anyone interested in Sesame, it is still blooming and the plants are still growing and adding pods. Some of the plants already have over 50 pods. I cut a pod open and it looks like there's over 100 seed in each. The seed are bigger than millet and I can see why doves would like them.

My biggest concern goes back to what several of you warned about from the start - will the seed ever be available for the doves? I would think it's going to require the plants being very dry and then slowly going over them with the bush hog, but even then I wonder how well the seed will scatter. Anyone got any advice on that?

I will let most of it stand until the second season if it will. It should be interesting to see what it does and how the wildlife deals with it.

[Linked Image]

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.