Oh man, I am super jealous. My favorite excursion ever. Been up 3 times, although most recent was about 20 years ago, and now long overdue! Waiting for my boys to get a hair older, because it is true wilderness in every sense. We always went with Voyageur Canoe Outfitters out of Grand Marais. Usually went the first week of June, and my favorite route had us shuttled by an old de Havilland Otter with canoes strapped on the pontoons to Powell Lake. We paddled from there, through Clay, and onto Mack. Less than 5 portages, and none were too lengthy. We found a great site for basecamp and took day trips from there. Out of the trips I've taken, I can only think of seeing other humans once in the combined 3 weeks. We did see moose and bears. Only species we were not successful landing was lake trout. An abundance of smallies, walleye, and pike. Nothing like cooking a fresh walleye that was just swimming around moments earlier. And pristine water you could drink right out of the lake. I'm going to be living vicariously through you GMan! Pleas share pics upon your return!

If there's any doubt, then there is no doubt... The gut don't never lie.