Originally Posted by treemydog
Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Hell with being on a kayak out in the Ocean.

I don't know the exact odds, but I think I have a much better chance being killed in an auto accident going to/coming from work everyday before I'd be killed by a shark fishing on a kayak off the beach. It's not for everybody, though, no doubt. One of the first times out there, I was accosted by a pod of Dolphin. 3 or 4 big ones and a couple of small ones got close to investigate me and the cigar minnows I was trolling. An 8-9 foot long mature dolphin swimming upside down 3 feet under the kayak waving at me with his front flipper was eerie and very cool all at the same time. You don't really understand how big those things are until you can reach out and touch them with your paddle.

Well, if it makes anyone feel any better I got in the water with a pod a little out from St. Andrew's state park and they would swim right up close enough to reach out and touch them. And I did. It was pretty cool.

I wasn't in the water another time but standing on the county pier at PCB when a 9 or 10 ft Hammerhead slowly swam within 10 yards of some swimmers and then passed underneath the pier. At first I thought it was just seaweed or a small tightly grouped school of fish. As it neared the pier I could see what it was. After it passed by I hollered at the swimmers and then walked down and met them on the beach and told them about it. I don't think I ever convinced them that I was telling the truth about it. It was before everyone had cellphones so I didn't have any pics to help convince them. The water couldn't have been more than about 7 or 8 feet deep where it passed the group because it was closer to shore than the midway point of the pier.