Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Originally Posted by M48scout
Nitro : do you know of a source/method cheaper than ordering from rotometal for obtaining elemental tin? I think I can handle the bulk of things through wheel weights and pure lead from recycling places. But I’d like to source tin for cheaper than freaking $33/lb. I want to hit 20:1 or similar

I'll tell ya scout, I know how hard it is to find. I've only found two places to get tin that I can trust to be tin. First is Roto. It's high but I've not found another source that's commercial and a business that's got it in stock when you need it. The other place I've gotten tin, and for a lower price is on the website castboolits.com, they have a sub forum called selling /swapping , many members sell pewter and some sell tin. I picked up 5 one ounce bars of 99.5 pure tin for half of what Roto costs. And, if your a caster, it's a casting forum you should join. It's an amazing site for casters.

[Linked Image]

Here's the five bars plus one ounce of tin wire clipping from Roto.

This might help you. A 20 to1 is going to give you a BHN hardness of 10. You can get the same 10 BHN if you mix equal parts of pure lead and wheel weights. Here's a alloy calculator I use when mixing alloy for different hardness requirements.

[Linked Image]

Here's the website for the calculator.

http://www.weatherby.dk/bhn.htm

Thank you sir for the info. I joined a little while back under the same user name. Go look at at post I made over there for a recent rifle I purchased. Tons and tons of info. I am currently trying to source clip on wheel weights but the shops I’ve called aren’t interested in playing ball. I’ll keep trying. Thanks for the lead on the swapping forum