Originally Posted by Southwood7

CNC, why did you quote the part of your post that gobbler didn’t quote?

I’m confused

That is his MO

Originally Posted by CNC
You know I’ve been trying to think of other ways to word this because I’m really not just trying to be a dikhead by saying it but I cant….. Your response is so far out of the realm of anything I said though that I have to assume that your either bullchitting me or you didn’t take the time to comprehend what I said…..I really don’t know of another way to respond than that......For what its worth, here it is again.

This is what you said

Originally Posted by CNC
In a perfect scenario where we humans hadn’t manipulated the landscape so heavily, you would have a nice balance of habitat structure across the land that was comprised of a nice balance of grasses, broadleafs, and legumes……and that structure would be the driver for producing a nice balanced mix of cover and food where predator and prey populations also nicely balanced each other out

My reply was addressing your "balance" theory. That seems to be in the "realm of what you said" and I think I comprehended and replied just fine. Unless, of course, your were referring to pre 10K years ago before "humans had manipulated the landscape". If so, you should have stated that so I could comprehend.

Originally Posted by gobbler
Lets just think about Moundville area - similar to tallassee and other native high population centers. Moundville had, estimated in it's heyday, 10,000+ natives living there associated with the complex. Walking..... Imagine the impact they had on the local landscape. They couldn't travel terribly far in a day and reports indicate they went "off hunting" to '"hunting grounds". They HAD to because they devastated the local game populations around their population centers. Just like the plains indians using buffalo jumps to kill thousands of buffalo, most of which were wasted, to provide meat for the population. There are vast areas I have seen on maps of early settlers where very few indians lived and were used only for hunting to provide food. So much for "balance". These humans heavily manipulated the habitat and the game populations. The balance was more accidental due to low populations FAR away from population centers. Balance in predator/prey sounds good in a pretty poem.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine