Originally Posted by doghouse
Decoys and fans—take it or leave it as far as I’m concerned. I don’t use either. Personal preference. I was taught how to hunt without them and have been doing fine for a few decades that way. I can understand someone with a physical handicap wanting to use decoys because they can’t walk and are not able to have numerous setups on a gobbler if that’s what it takes. On the flip side for someone that is physically able then I don’t think decoys or fans should be used. Once again—personal preference. If you’re really serious about turkey population in Alabama then why not stop turkey hunting at 12 or 1 o’clock everyday? Odds are if you find a gobbling bird at 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon you have a dang good chance of shooting him in the face. No it doesn’t always work like that and I don’t know if there’s enough gobblers killed in the afternoon to make a difference here. A lot better odds than earlier in the morning anyway. I can’t count how many times I’ve got on a gobbler first thing in the morning and things not work out but go back later in the day and end up carrying him home with me. If you end turkey hunting at such and such time everyday your chances of bumping a hen off her nest decrease as well. Maybe that would help here, maybe it wouldn’t. Just another suggestion. I do know several states I’ve hunted turkeys in that you can’t hunt them all day has some pretty good turkey numbers. And yes I totally agree ants, predators, and timber management are huge problems too. There are numerous ways to help the turkey population here, but until there’s someone that has the authority to do so and actually cares about the turkey population here it doesn’t mean anything.

Killed 3 this year. Decoys we’re not used on any of them.