Originally Posted by Lockjaw
I basically took over the lease. We had 19 members last year. We have a few that hardly, if ever hunt. Children are allowed, most sit with their parent. And it's not a large number. Guests are allowed with approval but only 3 times. Turkey hunting is included. Dues are $1,200, which is what they have been, we just got rid of the upfront discount this year. I think $1,500 is where they will need to be to get the member numbers lower and plant and fertilize properly.

I have been focused on food mainly. I did soil tests and limed 2 falls ago. I have really spent a lot of my own $ getting mainly WTI clover/fusion established. I know the deer herd has grown, but I'm not sure yet where I think it is. We have some nice mature bucks on the property, but they are tough to kill.

I want to reduce the member count, and improve our deer density. Then I think the transition to fewer members and better deer is easier. To help with that we lowered the doe kill limit and said you can't shoot one off a greenfield. I started last year when I was made the Pres convincing folks the idea of shooting every doe that walks out on a greenfield is a bad one. It helped with people seeing deer last season too.

I'm not sure how closely you have read a lease, but Westervelt can spell out how many doe's they want us to kill. The only analysis I can see online is from 2018 and it said to kill 10. We haven't ever killed 10 since I have been here. I could probably have killed 5 last year easily if I wanted. But feel I should be setting an example too. I really don't think anyone would complain about me doing that, since I do most of the field work. But... You know.

I figured it would take me a couple more years to really get this place dialed in and get everyone on the same page.

Y’all don’t need to shoot any does honestly. We normally have the opportunity to kill at least 5 does a day on either of our 3 properties.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!