I've had some folks ask me chufa related questions lately, so I thought I would bump this thread and also add a current picture of the plot:

[Linked Image]

Turkeys used the plot extensively until early January, and then it went through a period of little usage. I think part of the reason for that is that they have almost unlimited amounts of corn in the area from deer feeders. This soil also tends to get very hard in the winter. The fact that I had a solid stand of clover also might have discouraged the turkeys from digging chufas

At any rate, I took the tractor and started discing strips to regenerate the plot in March. I tried to disc about 1/3 of the plot each time. I disced it lightly, and some of the clover would survive. Turkeys immediately started using the disced areas to dig chufas, and of course there was always plenty of clover. All of the field has had it's first discing now, but you can see that there is also plenty of clover growing. Turkeys are still using it daily, and I actually ran this hen out when I walked down there to take a picture:

[Linked Image]

I think the patch in this stage really helps the nesting hens. They can leave the nest for their daily feeding trips and quickly dig a few chufas and scarf down all the clover they can hold. The clover is still thick enough that it should also be attractive as one of the first places they take the newly hatched poults. I think I am gonna hold off on the second discing and leave the field as is for the next few weeks. Whether I do a second discing or not, I will plan to do the final work around the first of June and then start the cycle over again.

I have been surprised by how much the turkeys have benefitted from a 1/4 acre plot. It's no doubt better to plant a bigger field, but even a small one can receive a lot of usage.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.