Originally Posted by Irishguy
Originally Posted by RoadRN
Originally Posted by Irishguy

Oh yeah.

Like I have been saying... If it wasn't for nuclear deterrence, we all would already be in WWIII right now. Nuclear deterrence is what has kept the Western Democracies and Communist China out of this whole thing.

Nuclear deterrence is why we have not had a major World conflict since WWII.

Agreed. I could see something similar to the arrangement Germany, Belgium, Italy and The Netherlands have with the US where they host our nukes. The only problem I see with Ukraine hosting our nukes is that Putin (or his successor(s)) would surely interpret that as some sort of provocative or threatening gesture. He/they wouldn't be wrong, but I would like to believe our intentions would be purer than if the shoe were on his foot though.

I agree too, except I don't think Russia and certainly not Putin is going to allow western nukes or any nukes in Ukraine. Nor would we allow Chinese nukes in Mexico, Canada, Cuba, etc... It's just not going to happen.

Russian's and Putin do not view us like we view ourselves. Most of us honestly believe our intentions are true and just. Some of us know that is not the case. Nothing is ever black and white. Everything is a shade of gray.

No doubt. As much as I would love to believe our "leaders" have pure intentions, I know that's BS. I wouldn't totally rule out Ukrainian ability to self-develop a nuclear program. That would be the easiest and best way to keep the ruskies in check for them. And I'm sure there are plenty of available international resources for them to procure the necessary info (if they don't already have the right brain trust) to implement.