I’ve grown spring turnips before for the purpose of just doing a soil building experiment. I’ll have to go back and see exactly when I spread the seed but I believe it was late April or early May as my cereal grains were heading out. It did pretty well at producing some rotten vegetable type biomass to add back to the mix. What I’m really shooting for with having a thriving rotation of clover being a key part of my planting is cheap organic nitrogen.

Here's just some ramblings on some bigger concepts as the Feb sky here in Macon Co fills with smoke…….

So we’re at a point in the year now where we need to “reset succession”……Basically we have a year’s worth of carbon biomass that we’ve accumulated on the land’s surface and we need to get it out of the way so that the new spring growth can freely and efficiently emerge in the weeks to come. I think how we go about handling this biomass has big impacts on the fertility of the cycle over time. Let’s say in one situation I take and recycle this biomass back the soil and in another situation I take and set it on fire…….It would seem to be a pretty simple math equation on what happens if we do this year after year……In the situation of fire I think you rob the soil of a LOT of carbon which robs the soil of productivity. What do we do with the "carbon" in the picture? Burn it or feed it to the soil?

[Linked Image]

Look at how tall and thick the vegetation has become from recycling the vegetation back to the soil. The question really becomes…….What is the most efficient way of getting the vegetation to the ground??....Tractor?.......Buffalo??

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 02/14/22 10:34 AM.

We dont rent pigs