I could see how a track could turn into a hunt. Now if there is good blood I just think more effort should be made to pursue. The situation really determines to effort for a recovery. Some people really don't want to track because they think if the deer is not dead they may get another shot. I know if the person that shot the rack deer I found in the woods a few years ago shot the deer legit they sure would be all for a tracking dog to have found it. Deer react differently and running deer and tracking could be an issue, but if the guts are hanging out I would like to see that deer not suffer. Over the years it would have been good to know a tracker close by to find a few deer I have shot. Hard to fool a dog's nose and sometimes the way a deer don't always leave a blood trail only a dog could find them in an five year old growed up pine thicket bottom. The thing about it, a dog can move good in those thickets day or night. A party of 10 it may take days to cover 40 acres and still the little thick spot no one dared to go in could be where the buck of a lifetime hid out. Now, running one a mile for a recovery could be classified as hunting and not tracking if there is not wound. If you are a dog hunter that could be called hunting!😃 i just know it sure is bad to find one a couple of days later and all that meat go to waste!