Originally Posted by Ar1220
Here is my take Harold. And this comes from Paul and some other folks that train dogs as well as from reading John's book. I don't know if it's interdigital or some other scent or pheromone but there is definitely something a fatally wounded deer gives off or it's a combination of several scents that really gets my dog fired up. I can get a good idea in a couple hundred yards by the way the dog acts if we are gone be successful or if we're just walking around in the woods. You got a better relationship with Otis than I do with mine maybe ask him. Lol. I had 2 the other day one was shot dead square in the but first couple hundred dog didn't really get excited until we found a wound bed with a couple clots in it from there to the end he acted like a completely different dog as far as how he behaved and worked. Went to the next one which turned out to be a backwhack and he wasn't at all interested in what was goin on so we went hiking in the woods and never found anything he wanted to mess with. I don't know if that's interdigital or what or if just something the dogs know that we don't but I do know there is something

I really believe it’s in the amount and “type” of blood the wound is putting out. As soon as we humans stop being able to SEE blood on the ground then we draw a line and call that “no blood”. However that is far from the case. The dog is able to continue detecting blood long after we stop seeing it. Also, there are other scents that are associated with the type of blood that the dog is smelling….. like for instance….was this blood from the liver or guts??....or is this blood from a meat wound??…..I would think the dog can distinguish those things in the blood they’re smelling and why you see them get so excited when its gut hits…..I think they also smell the blown up bone marrow and why they get so excited on leg hits. These are ways we as trackers can distinguish what we’re likely dealing with by the dog’s reaction….my very point in some of this when you tell someone that they likely don’t have a recoverable deer.

We dont rent pigs