Originally Posted by Young20
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by Young20
Sadly, you probably would never find one of these, but, if you did, you would love it. I worked for Marvin Hurst, helped design the boat, and put together every one that was built. There were less than 40 of them made. This pic is one of my personal ones that was made a little lighter than stock. The finished boat still weighed about 900 pounds unrigged. Fully rigged to tournament fish and powered by a stock Mercury XR6 150 swinging a 26 pitch Laser II prop at 6300 rpm, it would radar at 77mph. Those were the days!! [Linked Image]

I'm sure it wasn't one of those limited models, but my uncle had a Hurst around 1980 or maybe just after. I fished with him on Okeechobee and Toho several times with him and he scared me to death several times in that thing. When the wind got up, Okeechobee wasn't much different than being on the gulf, but he still thought he had to run it wide open.

But that was a fine boat and I think he still regrets trading it.

That was probably a Hurst B175. I think that model had a couple of die cast metal pieces fastened on each side of the deck at the widest point of the transom. Marvin did that because that made it measure just wide enough so the boat could be rated for a 175 instead of a 150. Marvin was always looking for anything to give him an edge.

We did that to Skeeters, added the corners and it changed the dims where you could run a 175. Squirrly is an understatement.