Originally Posted by k bush
This may be what I'm experiencing. My plots that were planted 2 weeks prior to my neighbor look awful compared to his. Mine were planted into heavy straw/residue and his were disked clean. I actually applied more N at planting than he did. I planted using the same method on another property and have similar results. I've added 33 units of N to some of those plots and they are starting to look better.

Guess I need to incorporate more 33-0-0 at planting when I have a heavy residue at the surface.

I don’t know if this is the case with your situation but something to look at moving forward is the amount or ratio of summer “grass” that is growing in your fields…….If you have a situation for example where maybe you have a field of mostly bahiagrass putting out large amount of carbon during the summer with few broadleafs and legumes mixed in…..then you’re gonna be dealing with a large nitrogen deficit going into the fall that must be overcome before it stops robbing it away from your fall crop as all of that carbon is trying to be decomposed…..To reduce that impact and bring everything into a better balance….you would want to do something like maybe spray a grass select herbicide at some point during the spring or summer with the goal of reducing the carbon output from the grasses…….Ideally I think you want about 1/3 grass…….1/3 broadleaf…….1/3 legume mix growing…..

Last edited by CNC; 11/11/21 10:18 AM.

We dont rent pigs