Originally Posted by k bush
Pretty sure Throw and Mow originated on the old QDMA forums.

Correct……..All of the stuff you see folks doing now began on the old QDMA forum with a guy that went by the handle dgallow back about 10-12 years ago……His name is either Doug Gallow or Doug Galloway and I believe he worked for the Noble Foundation or maybe the Oklahoma State extension services, something like that……He was and hopefully still is……let’s just say a really, really smart soils guy…….I know he came to Marshall Co a few years ago and gave a field day lecture on mob grazing

At the time Doug was posting a lot about his mob grazing cattle operation he was experimenting with and the great success he was having using it to manage for wildlife out in Oklahoma……..Most of his discussions were about soil and hardly anyone could understand much of it…..including me……because he talked about it like we were all in a class going for our PHD’s in soil science and it was all in these choppy sentence fragments with a bunch of periods between thoughts…….He said it made people have the think. lol

I’d been following along with his threads for a good while just trying to understand bits and pieces here and there…….He used to post a lot of videos and one day he posts the video “Undercover Famers” right about the same time I was having some epic failures here after getting my new tractor and spending a few seasons thinking……and I remember specifically saying this very thing to myself….maybe even out loud……”Woohoo, now I can do it the right way!!”

I had made beautiful seed beds that could go on a magazine cover…..all the stuff that I thought needed to be done to “do it right” but yet my plots were horrible and I was beyond frustrated and disgusted with it…….That’s when Doug posted that video about the Undercover Farmers and I remember in one part of it I believe they had flown on a cover of cereal rye onto some standing corn and then went back and harvested the corn….This machine they were using was basically just taking the stalks, grinding them up and blowing them out the back over the top of the seed they had flown on………

For whatever reason that was my “Ah ha!! moment” and it gave me the idea to start experimenting with……..I remember being squatted down beside my field thinking about how bad it sucked……..I went and bought a bag of milo and started a thread called “Testing in Progress”……….It started out with something like…….”Alright, here we go Doug……I don’t know how I’m gonna do it but I’m gonna figure out how I can plant that way too”

The early stages of it was just a bunch of experimenting and posting about in a series of spinoff threads that lasted for 2 or 3 years on the old QDMA forum with numerous people that started participating…….including blumsden that still posts here with us. A couple years into all of that someone said something one day about needing to give the method a name and jokingly said we’ll call it the CnC Method………I remember thinking about it for a minute and thinking how selfish sounding that was and didn’t want it to actually be called that even though he was just half joking about it.

So really without giving it a whole lot of thought and basing it off of how everything is commercialized…….I called it the Throw N’ Mow Method because I thought it sounded catchy and like something people bought off the shelves like throw and grow…….it rhymed more than anything……It’s so ironic to me now because the name couldn’t be any more cheesy and the commercialization of the concepts and such is what I roll my eyes at the most.

But that’s where it all originated from……There was a lot of well known folks in the hunting industry that participated openly on the old QDMA forum so I’m sure there were plenty that participated anonymously too. It’s funny to listen to some of the industry folks talk about it now like they’ve been doing since the 90’s and yada, yada…….Here lately I think back to that day when the guy said something about “The CnC Method” and even though he was half joking…..wish I would have made a different decision that day and took the opportunity to go full force marketing with it as the name……..Yeah, it would have been a selfish, dick move all about me……but that’s how things work in the real world if you want to be “somebody”……

This was the first experiment from back around 2010-2011 with milo…….you can see how poor my field was back then in comparison ……..

[Linked Image]

We dont rent pigs