A fixed head will out penetrate a mechanical head, that’s a given. It’s the “failed to open” that I don’t buy.

I agree. Many mech heads have a large cutting diameter and if your bow and arrow combination doesn't have the power to put one through whatever animal you are hunting then that chit is on you not the head. It's your responcibility to know such things.

As for the "it didn't open crap" I never believe it and with good reason. It's horse pucky. Over the years I have shot Rocket Steelheads, Rocky Mt Snypers, Grim Reapers, Spitfires, Wasp Jackhammers, NAP Shockwaves, Rage, etc, etc. Some of them I killed deer with and some I just tested on various target materials. Never had a single one fail to open, EVER. Hell I even tied some of them shut with dental floss and shot them. They snapped the dental floss and still opened. Yet every time someone loses an animal or has a bad time of it on a hunt they claim the expandable head they used didn't open. A claim that is particularly odd in the cases where the animal wasn't found because how in the hell would you know in such a case?

In the case in question here they claim the head didn't open and yet it only penetrated deep enough to get one lung. Well an unopened mech head would penetrate like a field tip. In other words it would penetrate even deeper if somehow it stayed closed. If it didn't open and only managed to penetrate to one lung then they are lucky it stayed shut or it wouldn't have broke the skin. Tell these guys to check their bow and see if the words "Playskool" or "Mattel" are written anywhere on it. If so, they need to take it back to the store and tell them this time they want a bow from the sporting goods section and not the toy aisle. LOL!

Bottom line: If you frack up on a bow hunt man up and take responcibility for your mess. This sounds like a case of either poor penetration, chitty shooting or a combination of the two.

Last edited by Todd1700; 09/20/21 01:27 AM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren